Sunday, January 15, 2012

When is the best time to transplant my hydrangea bush? I'm zone 7.?

I'm going to move it over with my other hydregeas.
When is the best time to transplant my hydrangea bush? I'm zone 7.?
In about a month or so. You want the heat from the summer to cool down, to about 70-80 degrees, yet be warm enough that the plant has not gone into its dormancy period.



When you transplant, cut back the limbs about 1/3. This will reduce the amount of sunlight and water the plant needs for photsynthesis while also giving it enough growing ability to send out its new roots.



You should water the hydrangea each evening. Give it a good soaking. After about 2 weeks, make it every other day until your trees start losing their leaves. Then, water it only if the weather has been dry (i.e, no rain).



It should be fine come spring. Do not wait until spring to transplant, since it is a very water-thirsty plant. (Do you really want to water it all summer?) When you transplant, you do so understanding that there will ne no or few blooms the following summer.
Reply:In the spring. Will be less stress on the plant.
deodorizers

No comments:

Post a Comment