Saturday, February 11, 2012

Growing hydrangeas from root clippings?

Growing hydrangeas from root clippings?

I have two hydrangea root clippings that I started from my plant several weeks ago. Today I removed both clippings (full of roots) from the damp sand bed, where I started the rooting process a few weeks ago. I've transplanted them into small pots using a rich, acidic soil mixture taken from my compost bin. My question is, should I plant these 3" root clippings directly into the garden bed taking a chance on winter, or should I keep them potted outside, or move them inside, until next spring? Hope someone here can help, I sure hate to loose them now after all the diligent care I've given them. I live in the southeast region with mild, but very cold winters. Thanks!
Growing hydrangeas from root clippings?
Heather,

A cold frame would be great.



If you don't quite want to do that, I would suggest digging them into the ground. Leave them potted. Dig in a protected part of the garden, near the house. Once in the ground, I would mulch them over with a shredded bark, 2-3".



An unheated porch would be okay too, just be sure to keep them watered.



Good luck

I hope that this helps
Reply:I would suggest that you keep them in an unheated garage for the winter - give them some protection but let them start hardening off.

No comments:

Post a Comment