Thursday, February 9, 2012

Can I transplant hydrangeas by dividing them, when will be the best time to do this?

I think it's a dig-it-up-and-see thing. Sometimes it will work depending on how large the Hydrangea is. I would do it when the plant is dormant. It will get sad looking in winter and you will cut it back. Then divide after pruning. Or wait until the weather is cooler and cut it back early and then divide.



When you do, dig up the whole palnt. Shake off most of the soil. You should be able to tease apart the roots to get at least two distinct halfs each with roots.

Good luck :-)
Can I transplant hydrangeas by dividing them, when will be the best time to do this?
I've never tried dividing hydrangeas before, but I usually do by cutting . You can cut the stems with only top 2 leaves left on, trim the leaves in half(looks like a butterfly from the top), then stick it in the water until you see the roots start to grow. When you get enough strong roots, it's time to transplant it. You must do this in June or July, otherwise it won't be successful. It'll take about a year for it to get going, but you need to be patient. I propagated my hydrangeas many times now. If you do it in the right time, this is the most easiest plant to do it. You don't even need a root hormone.

No comments:

Post a Comment