Wednesday, February 1, 2012

I'm cleaning up my yard at the moment to get it ready for winter, do i cut my perennials down to the root?

I have some hydrangea and the flowers are all dead. Do I cut just the heads off or should I cut down to the root? What about tiger lillies? Will they grow better if I cut them short?

Thanks!
I'm cleaning up my yard at the moment to get it ready for winter, do i cut my perennials down to the root?
Leave the leaves on the lillys till frost then snip off, they are still manufacturing food for plant now. Hydrangea dont prune untill frost. It's too early yet! Don't go crazy to the ground, the plants might not survive! Just trim neatly, leaving main frame without lots of lengthy twigs and you will get good new growth next spring.
safety shoes

No comments:

Post a Comment